Hopkins vs. Dawson Locked discussion

Discussions » Sports Talk » MMA
Showing 1 to 15 of 15 Messages
Hopkins vs. Dawson
Hopkins at 46 is getting back in the ring on October 15th against Chad Dawson. First of all I want to know who you guys think will win, but second, and maybe even more difficult to answer, how long do you think Hopkins will fight? I give him maybe five more fights after this one. I remember him saying that 40 would be his cut off age. Then it became 42 and all of the sudden he is 46 and still world champion.
Posted Aug 15th 2011 4:47PM
I would love to see Hopkins win this fight.  His career has been amazing, and I'm not too fond of Dawson.  The problem is that Dawson's youth & style may be too much for Hopkins to overcome.  If you look at the guys that Hopkins has beaten since the second Taylor loss, the styles are perfect for Hopkins to be set up against (except maybe for Jones, who was just too old to win that fight).  I think Dawson wins, and I think it will either take a string of losses or one crushing KO loss for Nardo to hang them up.  I will be rooting for Hopkins for as long as he wants to continue though.
Posted Aug 16th 2011 9:14PM
Watching Hopkins maturation outside of the ring from a rough around the edges ex-con to a media savvy, well polished self promoter has been just as impressive as his maturuation inside the ring as a fighter. One of the reasons I think he can fight until about 50 is credited to his well-publicized monastic life style. No drinking, no partying, he eats right and puts his body in the best position to perform at its best despite his age. I'm leaning to Dawson as well, but it's always tricky picking against Hopkins. He's such an intelligent fighter with a knack for pulling off victories that surprise people.
Posted Aug 24th 2011 2:48PM
I don't like Hopkins but it was impessive how he rebounded from those 2 losses to Taylor, both could have gone either way. It looked like Taylor would be the one to dominate the division, but over the last six years their careers went completely opposite of what I thought.
Posted Aug 25th 2011 4:07PM
I agree that Hopkins could fight until he's 50.  Can he stay on top like he is now?  I don't know about that, but I think he can still make waves in boxing either way.

I always felt like Jermaine Taylor was a bit overrated.  I thought his jab was great, and he was very impresssive as far as his athletic ability went.  However, I just don't think he was really tested that much in his career.  I think his career would have been a lot different if he would have faced much tougher opposition.  He MIGHT have won some kind of middleweight belt, but I'm not sure he would have been the undisputed champion.  I think he would have been a better than average fighter.  I think the praise that the boxing media gave him outweighed his actual ability as a fighter.  If you ask me, Ricky Hatton was a more significant fighter in boxing history than Taylor was (I'm not just saying that because I'm a Hatton fan either).
Posted Aug 26th 2011 9:19PM
Hatton will be remembered as more significant in the grand scheme of things. He was undefeated for a very long time, but he never had victories over guys who were better than Hopkins. Taylor was definitely overrated, I was guilty of this assesment as well. I think we just really, really wanted him to come on the scene and dominate like the heir apparent to Roy Jones Jr. The only problem was he didn't have half of theskill Roy possesed. But he was young, athletic, had a great smile and was very camera and media friendly. You see this all the time in boxing, more than other sports I think. It being an individual sport they have to package the individual and unfortunately we jump on the bandwagon of a young fighter for a number of reasons other than talent and boxing prowess.
Posted Aug 31st 2011 4:59PM
Agree 100% Well said.
Posted Aug 31st 2011 4:59PM
I would probably rank Hopkins higher than Kostya Tszyu, as far as their historical greatness goes, but I wouldn't say Tszyu's not at least on Hopkins level as a great fighter.  Also, Hatton won more convincing fights during his title reigns and had a far more impressive record overall.  In the end, the only two guys that beat him are number 1 & 2 on every P4P list.  I would give Taylor an edge on athletic ability & jab, but that's about it.
Posted Aug 31st 2011 9:28PM
I forgot that the two fights against Hopkins were close, if not controversial.  Hatton not only retired Tszyu in the fight, but also for his career.
Posted Aug 31st 2011 9:29PM
Yeah you're right I don't know how but I overlooked the Tszyu fight. Didn't Kostya only have one loss going in to that fight?
Posted Sep 1st 2011 2:27PM
He had one loss going into that fight, from Vince Phillips.  I believe he was supposed to have a fight against Oscar De La Hoya before the loss.  I almost have to say Oscar wins that fight, because he was the bigger fighter for at least a chunk of his career, but Kostya was a beast.
Posted Sep 10th 2011 12:28AM
Yeah I would have taken Oscar as well. I feel like all of Oscar's fame and wealth has actually hurt his reputation as a championship fighter. People got tired of always seeing him, and then he started losing so they just thought he was "The Golden Boy," and failed to recognize he was a very skilled fighter.
Posted Sep 14th 2011 11:12AM
That's true, every one always used to say that De La Hoya was the most overrated boxer in the game, but I thought he was so overrated that he was underrated if you follow me. I mean the guy won over 30 fights before he lost that controversial decision to Trinidad, I thought he won that fight and he always fought the best available.
Posted Sep 14th 2011 11:22AM
I think Oscar is overrated IF people think his overall ability & career achievements matched the money he generated.  As a marketable fighter, there probably has been no one better.  However, I would have Oscar behind many fighters as far as talent, skills, and record.
Posted Sep 14th 2011 10:16PM
Yeah and his career ended on such a bad streak. He had those losses to Mosely, Mayweather, Hopkins and Pac-Man. I guess you have to give him props for taking all of those fights, even as he got older, and the Hopkins fight was just ridiculous to begin with.
Posted Sep 15th 2011 11:37AM
Showing 1 to 15 of 15 Messages

Forum Stats

Total Discussions: 2,610
Total Posts: 19,230
Active Members: 901

Feedback Submit your ideas or ask a question

Feedback
Thank you! Message Sent!
ERROR: Message Not Sent!