ESPN ranks Mayweather Jr. number 1 P4P in the world... Locked discussion

Discussions » Sports Talk » Other
Showing 1 to 12 of 12 Messages
ESPN ranks Mayweather Jr. number 1 P4P in the world...
ESPN has moved Floyd Mayweather Jr. ahead of Manny Pacquiao in the pound for pound rankings.  I understand that P4P rankings are mostly subjective, but even so there still have to be good reasons why they would do so.

Is it because Floyd got an early KO against Ortiz, while Manny scored a controversial decision over Marquez?  Is it because Manny has never had anything even close to an easy fight against Marquez, but Floyd scored an easy decision victory over the Mexican great?  Is there some other reason why they did that?

I have not seen the Pacquiao/Marquez fight yet, so I cannot say who I think won right now.  If I think that Manny lost that fight, then I would have to say that hurts Manny's case for being the best in the world (Though Mayweather's precious undefeated record is far more overrated than it is impressive).  However, if I think that Manny edged out Marquez, then it wouldn't change my opinion that Manny is still the best in the world.  Manny having his tough fight against Marquez is still more impressive than what Mayweather did to Ortiz.
Posted Nov 16th 2011 9:49PM
I haven't seen that fight yet either but just because Floyd has had a rough time against Marquez while Floyd dominated him, doesn't hold much weight with me. It's all about match-ups. Look at what happened with Mosley and Vernon Forrest. Forrest beats him twice and then loses the next two to Mayorga. But then Mayorga got knocked out by Mosley when they fought a few years later.
Posted Nov 17th 2011 11:12AM
I can see why the rankings would change though... I just think it was Pacquiao dropping, not Mayweather rising.
Posted Nov 17th 2011 11:13AM
The Ring Magazine website still has Pacquaio at number one, but he barely held on to his spot.  They actually presented some really good reasons why Mayweather shouldn't have overtaken Manny at the top (I will try to give a link if anyone wants to know what they are). 

I read something funny about this whole thing (if it is true).  Apparently the guy that does all the rankings for ESPN.com (Dan Rafael), scored the Pacquiao/Marquez fight FOR MANNY!!  So I guess Manny didn't do enough to stay on top by beating a fellow P4P fighter, who matches up with him better than anyone else in the world.  He should have taken on a "solid" title holder, who hasn't won more than one big fight in his career (if beating Andre Ward is really that big a deal), and defeat him by hitting him with a "legal cheap shot".  Then after Manny gloated about his KO win, maybe Dan Rafael would have declared him better than any of the Sugars.
Posted Nov 19th 2011 5:50AM
I saw the fight finally and I gotta say I think Mayweather won. It was a really close fight but I tend to lean toward the more agressive guy who controls the action and initiates the exchange. He dominated in ring generalship and agression and was close in clean and effective punching. After what I had heard I thought it was gunna be an easy "win" for Marquez.
Posted Nov 30th 2011 4:14PM
I think Pacquiao should retain his P4P title. I don't think he would beat Floyd but I agree with Ivey. Marquez matches up with Pacquiao better than anyone his, counterpunching style is built to stop and agressive guy like Pacquiao.
Posted Nov 30th 2011 4:16PM
It was another good fight between these guys, and now it's time to follow the ongoing, never-ending saga that has become Mayweather/Pacquiao
Posted Nov 30th 2011 4:17PM
It was another good fight between these guys, and now it's time to follow the ongoing, never-ending saga that has become Mayweather/Pacquiao
Might be never happening too lol.  Apparently Saul Alvarez has challenged Mayweather, and we all know how Mayweather loves to fight guys that are far below him in status, talent, and experience (suprisingly this one is not far below him in size though).
Posted Dec 1st 2011 1:27AM
I think Pacquiao should retain his P4P title. I don't think he would beat Floyd but I agree with Ivey. Marquez matches up with Pacquiao better than anyone his, counterpunching style is built to stop and agressive guy like Pacquiao.
If I had to pick a winner in that fight, I think I would go with Mayweather as well.  However, I would be hoping for Pacquiao to punish or crush him.
Posted Dec 1st 2011 1:38AM
I love Canelo but I literally laughed out loud when he he challenged Mayweather after the Cintrin fight. But you're right about Floyd fighting guys who are either too young or too old.
Posted Dec 1st 2011 1:53PM
I don't know though, Pacquiao's aggression may be too much for Mayweather. I just see Mayweather's defense being too good for Pacquiao. I'll tell you this though, if Pacquiao wins it will be the result of an awesome fight... If Mayweather wins, you can bet the farm that it came at the end of a snoozer.
Posted Dec 1st 2011 1:56PM
I don't know though, Pacquiao's aggression may be too much for Mayweather. I just see Mayweather's defense being too good for Pacquiao. I'll tell you this though, if Pacquiao wins it will be the result of an awesome fight... If Mayweather wins, you can bet the farm that it came at the end of a snoozer.
Pacquiao will definitely be the aggressor in that fight, but he's gotta be able to do something with it.  I've said it before, I HATE Mayweather, but at the same time I have to say that I've maybe never seen a better defensive fighter in my lifetime (I'm just saying this from a fan's perspective, not as a fellow boxer).  I could very easily see Mayweather avoiding any serious damage and winning a boring decision.  I sure do hope that I'm wrong though.
Posted Dec 1st 2011 5:10PM
Showing 1 to 12 of 12 Messages

Forum Stats

Total Discussions: 2,606
Total Posts: 19,226
Active Members: 900

Feedback Submit your ideas or ask a question

Feedback
Thank you! Message Sent!
ERROR: Message Not Sent!