Most anticipated UFC title fight... Locked discussion

Discussions » Sports Talk » MMA
Showing 1 to 2 of 2 Messages
Most anticipated UFC title fight...
Some good title fights up coming for the UFC champions.  Here is a list of them:

Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem
Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans/Phil Davis winner or Dan Henderson (depending on winner of Evans/Davis)*
Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen/Mark Munoz winner*
Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz for interim title, winner to face GSP when he returns
Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson
Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes
Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber
4 man tournament to determine first UFC flyweight champion

*There isn't a sure challenger for the light heavyweight and middleweight title yet, but I figured it was clear enough to list the possible matchups.

I am a little interested in seeing a flyweight champion crowned, but unsure how the division will work out if the talent isn't there to compete.  I am not happy that Urijah Faber will get a title shot every other fight until he wins, but I will be happy if Cruz wins again (SUPER HAPPY if Cruz stops Faber).  The 155 & 145 pound title fights are a little intriguing.  Edgar & Aldo seem to be favorites going in, but maybe one or both of the challengers will suprise us.  The heavyweight title fight should be good, with probably the top two heavyweight strikers in MMA.  The 205 & 185 pound fights will take longer to get to, but both will probably be good (I do hope that Silva & Sonnen beat each other into non existence).

The fight that I am most looking forward to is the 170 pound (interim) title fight.  I don't think you could ask for two better fighters to be matched up against one another.  I would say that Condit is probably the more skilled fighter overall (though not by much), and Diaz is probably the more proven of the two.  I think this could easily be the FOTN of that card, but also the FOTY.  Two high level strikers, with great ground games, that will probably want to stand the whole fight.  I think the deciding factor may be whether or not Diaz's boxing is good enough to nullify Condit's all around attack.  If he can disrupt Condit's striking then I could see him winning a decision (maybe a very close one).  Condit does have good power, but I don't remember anyone hurting Diaz enough to put him away.  However, if Condit can hurt Diaz enough to attack on the ground, then it might be possible for him to get a stoppage.  I think the fight likely goes to a decision, but I don't have any idea who I think will win.

What do you all think about these fights, and is there one or more that you are really looking forward to?
Posted Jan 5th 2012 9:46AM
Oh yeah, I think a fight between the Condit/Diaz winner & GSP MIGHT be more entertaining than it would have been before GSP's knee injury (if it affects his wrestling).  I still think GSP probably has enough tools to beat either, even if his wrestling isn't as strong as it was before, but it's nice to imagine that he just won't maul either fighter like he might have before the injury.  I wouldn't wish injury on GSP, and it's unfortunate that he had it happen to him, but a positive is that it might bring him down more to his competition's level.  That means that while he might still remain dominant in a winning sense, his fights might be a lot more competitive, and that means they might be more entertaining.  Never a bad thing for us fans!!
Posted Jan 5th 2012 9:58AM

Forum Stats

Total Discussions: 2,606
Total Posts: 19,226
Active Members: 900

Feedback Submit your ideas or ask a question

Feedback
Thank you! Message Sent!
ERROR: Message Not Sent!